Maintaining an efficient gutter system is important in preventing costly house repairs. Damaged gutters can harm your home’s exterior and foundation.
In today’s post, one of the most trusted roofing companies in the area, Expert Contracting, discusses prevention for common problems caused by damaged gutters.
1. Clogged Gutters – Debris can build up in the gutter and cause clogging. The pressure from waterflow compresses the debris together. Eventually, the precipitation can move to the side or make the gutters expand. Gutter guards can filter debris and keep them out of the gutters. You should also inspect the system after a serious weather event.
2. Overflowing Gutters – Poor installation or maintenance may cause your gutters to overflow. See if the gutter is directed in an unusual turn and check if the pitch of the roof can be adjusted. For your safety, gutter or roof repair should be done by professionals. Using the wrong tools and techniques can make the problem worse.
3. Foundation Damage – Downspouts not angled correctly can direct water to the foundation, causing it to crack and erode. Water should be directed through dirt and cement trenches. To ensure your foundation is in good condition, have the ground inspected before it rains.
4. Water Damage – Standing water erodes your gutters’ strength. It can cause the molding to crack and damage your home. Apply water-resistant paint on the gutters to prevent cracking and seal breaks in seamed gutters. Gutters exposed to direct sunlight dry faster so it’s better not to place them beneath a shade, such as that of trees.
5. Snow Damage – Snow can melt from the roof, fall down the gutter and freeze. This can cause your gutters to expand, crack and break. A well-insulated attic can prevent this scenario.
Choose a reliable contractor to handle your gutter issues. At Expert Contracting, we are your leading provider of gutter replacement and repair services. We also offer quality siding installation and roof replacement. Call us at (716) 508-3700 or fill out our online form for a free estimate. We serve homeowners in West Hamburg, NY.