In time, weather can cause asphalt shingles to deteriorate. Various factors affect how an asphalt roof ages.
In today’s post, your local roof replacement provider, Expert Contracting, discusses things that contribute to asphalt shingle weathering.
1. Quality – Poor-quality shingles deteriorate faster than high-quality ones. The quality of shingles differs among manufacturers.
2. Orientation – South-facing slopes are more exposed to direct sunlight. They tend to last shorter because of increased thermal cycling and ultraviolet light exposure. Moreover, some areas of the roof are more susceptible to high winds.
3. Slope Angle – Moisture stays longer in flatter roofs and this can affect their life span. In addition, they are directly exposed to harmful UV rays than steeper roofs.
4. Thermal Cycling – Constant temperature changes can cause early roof deterioration due to persistent contraction and expansion of the material. Darker-colored roofs can also increase thermal cycling as they absorb more heat.
5. Climate – Extreme weather events can damage your roof and shorten its life. You can rely on local roof repair provider, Expert Contracting, for roofing systems that can ensure harsh weather conditions.
6. Elevation – Homes situated at higher elevation are more exposed to harmful effects of the sun. This can cause asphalt shingles to deteriorate faster.
7. Maintenance – Routine maintenance is key to prevent roof damage and extend a roof’s life span. Have your roof inspected at least twice a year. Any area in need of repairs should be addressed immediately.
It’s important to hire a reputable contractor to ensure quality materials and workmanship. Trust Expert Contracting, one of the leading roofing companies in the area, for your home improvement needs. We also specialize in siding replacement and gutter installation. Call us at (716) 508-3700 or fill out our online form for a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Williamsville, NY.