Knowing the right size for your gutters is crucial to protecting your home from water damage. But how do you determine what gutter size you need? One of the top roofing companies in the area shares this basic guide to gutter sizes.
Common Gutter Sizes
Gutters manage water flow from your roof to the ground, helping to protect your house from water damage. The right gutter size depends on your home’s architectural style, location and the amount of rainfall in your area.
The two standard gutter sizes for homes are 5 inches and 6 inches. These measurements refer to the width of the gutter.
- 5-Inch Gutters: These are the most commonly used for residential homes. They are equipped to handle the level of rainfall that most homes experience.
- 6-Inch Gutters: These are usually used for larger roofs or areas that experience heavy rainfall. They have a larger water capacity and can prevent overflow during heavy rains.
When choosing a gutter size, roof replacement experts recommend keeping the following factors in mind:
- Rainfall Rate: Areas with high rainfall rates will need larger gutters to handle the volume of water.
- Roof Size: A larger roof will have more surface area for rain to fall on, meaning you’ll need a larger gutter to collect all the water.
- Roof Slope: Steeper roofs can cause water to flow more quickly, necessitating larger gutters.
The Importance of Proper Gutter Size
Choosing the right gutter size is about more than aesthetics; it’s crucial to safeguard your home. If your gutters are too small, heavy rain could overwhelm them, causing leaks and water damage. If they are too large, they might look out of place or cause unnecessary expenditures.
Expert Contracting is a trusted expert in gutter installation and roof repair projects. Call us today at (716) 572-7303 or visit our contact page to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Hamburg and West Seneca, NY.